Saturday, March 10, 2012

Another Project- Buffet


So I've decided to start another project. This one is merely restoring, rather than attempting to create something from scratch... like I did with Sophie's big girl bed.

Currently we have a 27" tv which fits nicely into Brian's entertainment center that his parents got him when he was in high school (somewhere between the years 1996-2000). We've used the tv and entertainment center for years, hauling it with us from Hays, Alma, Newton, Camden, and now Dallas. But on our moving trip to Dallas, it became obvious that Brian's entertainment center didn't have that many more good years on it. But we've hesitated doing anything with it since we've both been busy and let's face it... so far it does the job we need it for.

However, with the possibility of getting a bigger tv, the entertainment center is not capable of holding a tv bigger than a 27". So the time to replace it is finally here.

I wanted to replace it with a buffet, which will not prevent us from various tv sizes like an armoir would or another entertainment center. I also wanted something that the kids couldn't climb under easily and something made of solid wood (unlike what we currently own). So first I scouted furniture ads (too expensive), then antique malls (still too expensive), then Craigslist. Finally I found an antique buffet table made in 1890 from Northern Furniture Company in Wisconsin for the low price of $100. (And believe me after all the research I did, this is a bargain!). And the people I contacted on Craigslist were even willing to deliver it for $50 (which is excellent since I had no truck to fetch it).

It needed lots of TLC. The sides were painted beige, the front painted white, and the drawers were painted pink. (ugh!) And the top wasn't painted at all.

So, first priority was getting it all one color, which I chose Behr Offshore Mist. And the guy at Home Depot said that you don't use flat paint for furniture because it shows off fingerprints easily, so you need to go with Satin or Eggshell. Didn't know that. So I chose Eggshell which supposedly still gives you that flat look, without the fingerprint issue.

Also, I didn't care for the pulls or knobs (which were rusting and in some cases painted over). So I found some nice chrome knobs.

Lastly, I'm thrilled to report that this buffet has wheels on the legs, which make it easier to move around (very good thing for a project loving pregnant woman). But they were also very very rusted. So those needed replaced as well.

So... step 1 ... I removed the drawers.

Step 2- Remove the knobs.

Step 3- Paint! I did 2 coats of paint on everything. I even got the inside of the drawers, something that wasn't previously done by prior owners.

Step 4- Once paint is dry... tip over the buffet and remove the wheels.

Step 5- Replace the wheels

Step 6- On drawers, screw in knobs.

Step 7- Return buffet to normal upright position, and insert the drawers.

Step 8- Wheel that bad boy into the house and enjoy!

Again, here is a before and after picture.

Before:

After:

And what happened to the previous entertainment center you might ask? I disassembled it and it is waiting for the trash man to visit. It has served us well, but like the movers mentioned... it wasn't going to last another move.

No comments:

Post a Comment