Monday, July 22, 2013

Long time, no Post

Things have been a bit hectic around here, I'm sure everyone can understand that. But I thought I'd fill everyone in on the biggest transition in our life. Brian recently left his job and switched to an entirely new job in a new industry... the food industry. Well, kind of. More the Cow Business. Shall I tell you moo-re?

Here are some fun facts about the Dairy Business:

1. It takes 10 lbs. of milk to make 1 lb. of cheese, 21 lbs. of milk to make 1 lb. of butter, and 12 lbs. of milk to make 1 gallon of ice cream.

2. Milk is comprised of 85% - 95% water

3. A cow's udder holds between 25-50 lbs. of pure milk.

4. It takes about 345 squirts to produce one gallon of milk.

5. Before milking machines (invented in 1894) farmers only milked about 6 cows per hour. Today average dairy farmers milk more than 100 cows per hour.

6. There are about 11 million cows in America and they make about 57.5 billion quarts of milk this year.

7. George Washington enjoyed ice cream so much he ran up a $200 bill one summer.

8. Yak's milk is pink

9. The U.S. enjoys an average of 48 pints of ice cream per person per year, more than any other country.

10. A cow chews at least 50 times a minute.

Milk is healthier than juice and soda. And has more vitamins and nutrients than any other beverage including water. We are big fans of milk. When I'm pregnant I will go through 4 gallons of milk in a week. Now that we are a family of 4, and I'm not pregnant, we go through about 1 gallon of milk in a week. The amount of ice cream we go through is about a quart a month. When I pregnant, the amount of ice cream I'll go through... well... I refuse to comment because it's an obscene amount. I think the remainder of my baby weight is completely due to ice cream.

Anyway, I'm sorry for taking so long to post something and hopefully we'll have more soon. Until then, drink some milk and think of the Oneys.

Todays information is provided by the following links:
20-20 site
Winder Farms
Umpqua Dairy

No comments:

Post a Comment