Monday, August 11, 2014

Alma Bakery Snickerdoodles


When I worked at Bell Helicopter, if I took a trip to Alma, Kansas, they could almost always guarantee I'd be bringing cookies from the Alma Bakery back with me to share with them. I love her cookies. My personal favorite being the snickerdoodles. Most of the others though prefer the Lemon Cookies. My in laws prefer to indulge in her fruit turnovers. But honestly everything she makes is good. And she's also kindly mailed my orders to Texas when I've been unable to retrieve them from Alma.

So I was happy when Kansas magazine did a report/review on the bakery in their Fall 2012 edition. And it included her recipe for Snickerdoodles! I finally got around to making those cookies with Sophie. And they turned out great and tasted just like they were fresh from her store and I thought I'd share. 

The Famous Snickerdoodles
1 c. shortening
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. white syrup
2 eggs
3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder

Mix 3 Tbsp. sugar and 3 Tbsp. cinnamon to roll cookies in.

Beat shortening, sugar, vanilla, white syrup and eggs until fluffy. Add flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Blend well. Roll balls into cinnamon and sugar mixture and bake at 350 degrees until cookies lift from pan. 







No comments:

Post a Comment