Saturday, December 13, 2014

Christmas Cooking- Gingerbread Edition

It's that time again! Time to make cookies for Christmas.

This year Connor was old enough to help me out. 




Granted this idea of him helping me out lasted only about 10 minutes before he tasted the gingerbread dough and then it was GAME OVER. Connor ONLY wanted to eat the dough. Didn't care about making the cookies... he just wanted the bowl.

So then after lunch during naptime, I exchanged Connor's help for Ainsley's who enjoyed watching me bake...




 Then Sophie got home from Kindergarten. She LOVES helping me cook cookies. I think this is perhaps the 4th or 5th consecutive year I've been doing this and she's always helped me out!


Recently I acquired the farmer on the tractor, the javelina, and the T-Rex cookie cutters to the collection. I figured if any of my gingerbread boys or girls break during transportation, I can blame the T-Rex for being hungry and attacking said gingerbread boys or girls.


Here is the recipe for Gingerbread Cookies:

Ingredients:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups dark molasses
2/3 c cold water
7 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground all spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
1. Mix brown sugar, shortening, molasses, and water in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. I usually do about 24 hours.

2. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheet lightly with shortening.

3. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured surgace. Cut with gingerbread/cookie cutters. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.

4. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched. Usually I just check to see if it's just starting to get a little dark around the edges. Also you should be able to smell them when they are done. Remove from cookie sheet and cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment