Friday, December 26, 2014

Winter in Wichita

After Sophie's half day from school, we directly made our way north to Wichita and arrived just in time for bedtime. How many Oneys fit in a queen size bed? The answer is 1 adult, 1 "schooler", 1 toddler, 1 baby, and 1 weenie dog.



The weather wasn't too bad while we were there, although, I was hoping for snow for the kiddos. Oscar seemed happy though to stay inside by the fire. A weenie roast.




Ashley and I spent a lot of time baking and cooking while at home. The most important thing we made- Grandma Staudinger's famous popcorn balls. Every Christmas as a child we would head to the farm to see our grandparents. And every Christmas Grandma made popcorn balls. Tons and tons of popcorn balls. They were amazing and one of the best things about Christmas. She always filled brown paper grocery bags with the popcorn balls and kept them in the back room. We always beg for more and sometimes "sneak" some into our tummies when we didn't think anyone was watching. They were that good. Grandma never wrote down her recipes, but one time when I was older and persuaded my mom and Grandma to let me spend my WHOLE Christmas vacation at the farm, I watched and helped her make popcorn balls making sure to record the ingredients and directions on paper. I'm glad I did as Grandma died not many years later and I had the only recipe. It was a special memory and I was glad that I was able to take a piece of that memory and share it with my sister, my children, and the rest of the Staudinger clan.



We had fun with our family. And Grammy got lots of cuddle time with the kiddos.




And Connor was so helpful in gathering eggs. They remained mostly intact this time.

Before we left to head on to Alma, we got to celebrate Christmas.






Needless to say Christmas was a hit.


Thanks for the gifts, good times, and memories Barton family!

No comments:

Post a Comment