Friday, July 15, 2011

A House & a Tree


On Friday we took some time away from the beach to see some of the more historical things in the area. One of them being the Fulton Mansion, built by cattle baron George Fulton, in Rockport, TX.

Few items are the actual originals; however, the stairwell, the planters, and the bathroom were original.

Sophie spent most of the tour in time out.

One instance was partially my fault, because when we toured the bathroom I jokingly asked Sophie if she needed to use the potty. To which she replied yes and tried to tug down her pants so she could go "potty" and the antique toilet.

When I told her I was joking, she was upset. She wanted to go potty and I was denying her the opportunity. She was seriously upset at her mom and didn't know why she couldn't go potty, especially since there was a potty right there. Bad Mom.

Next, was a visit to the oldest tree in Texas, located in a portion of the Goose Island State Park. This tree has a circumference of over 35 feet, is more than 45 feet tall and has a crown spread of 90 feet. Some claim it is the largest live oak tree in the world.

And apparently this tree has lived over 1,000 years ago surviving war, hurricanes, and wildfires. And during all of this time it has managed to keep it's membership to the Live Oak Society of America. (I didn't even know there was such a thing! Guess there are some very bored or eccentric people in this world).

Although, the tree was inclosed by a chain link fence, there were other surrounding trees that were perfect for climbing. Probably not as much fun as climbing the big tree, but fun just the same.


For more information on the Fulton Mansion, click HERE.

For more information about the Big Tree, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment